Join a dynamic team of movement leaders creating global LGBT workplace equality!
After 20 years successfully leading the LGBT workplace equality movement from the San Francisco office, Out & Equal is hiring our first Director of East Coast Development in Washington, DC. This position will have the opportunity to execute LGBT workplace equality through relationship building, stewarding corporate and public partnerships and acting as a representative of the organization in key East Coast cities. The ideal candidate will be a driven, outgoing person who excels at building relationships with a strong understanding of and fervent commitment to LGBT workplace equality. Key strengths include communications, fundraising and event management.
This role will have the opportunity to work directly with Out & Equal founder and CEO, Selisse Berry along with corporate executives and government leaders.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
The Associate Director of Communications is responsible for the overall planning, organization, and direction of Out & Equal’s external communications and public information activities.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Planning, organizing, and directing (under the supervision of the Deputy Director) overall communications strategies and public information activities for the organization;
- Analyzing, developing, and articulating media policies;
- Keeping management and staff apprised of relevant current events on a daily basis;
- Coordinating, overseeing and attending press events;
- Overseeing internal and external communications and presentations through visual displays, production of newsletters and web sites, and occasional public events;
- Maintaining extensive and positive relationships with all media;
- Supervising resources performing the duties associated with public information, video production, web site development and maintenance, photography, collateral support materials, and internal and external events;
- Developing and managing department budget;
- Proactively pitching stories to national media, seeking out additional media opportunities, and coordinating local and national media sponsorships;
- Overseeing the association’s digital communication, including the content for the Website, social media, and newsletters;
- Developing and implementing annual strategic communication plans that include goals, activities, materials, and performance indicators;
- Providing detailed reports of communications activities, including return-on-investment analyses;
- Writing CEO speeches, press releases and organizational announcements
- Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred) in public relations, journalism, communications or a related field
- Minimum of five years’ experience, ideally with some non-profit experience, as well as a portfolio of journalism, public relations or communications materials
- Experience managing a team highlighting excellent communication skills, ability to handle multiple projects under deadline pressure;
- Excellent writing skills covering press releases, media pitches and CEO speeches
- Comprehensive knowledge of media operations and expertise in the field of public relations and release of information for publication; knowledge of latest advances in internet technologies and digital and social media for corporate communication;
- Experience working with elected officials and CEO-level leadership, an ability to work comfortably and efficiently under tight timelines;
- Demonstrated experience producing high quality graphic materials essential;
- Strong media relations experience, including media sponsorship negotiation and pitching to local TV, print and radio on an on-going basis
Join Out & Equal’s dedicated team of employees who believe in our organization’s mission of encouraging everyone to bring their best self to work every day. We strongly encourage people of all backgrounds, ethnicities and gender identities to apply.
For more information, visit our website www.outandequal.org.
Salary is dependent on experience.
Benefits include 3 weeks paid vacation but 6 personal/discretionary days, a comprehensive employer-paid health and welfare program, commuter discount program, life insurance, and 401(k). Details of each program, including waiting periods and eligibility criteria, are available for review. This is an FTE position and can be located either in our San Francisco or Washington, DC location. The position reports to our Deputy Director.
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter to TTalbot@outandequal.org No phone calls please.
Out & Equal Workplace Advocates is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on any of the following: race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or gender characteristic, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.