Do you believe in LGBT equality? Would you like to work with a dynamic team of coworkers? Are you interested in a career where you can make a difference?
Out & Equal Workplace Advocates is the pre-eminent non-profit organization dedicated to winning global workplace equality for all lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.
Out & Equal is seeking to hire a Director of Events to lead and execute our events, including our flagship event, the annual Out & Equal Workplace Summit, which attracts 3,000+ attendees from leading corporate workplaces for a four-day program of workshops, panels, plenary sessions, an awards dinner and networking events. This position reports to the Deputy Director.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
The Director of Events is responsible for the overall planning, organization and direction of Out & Equal’s events.
- Program design and production
- Support and contribute to the design and delivery of events that meet the programmatic and quality goals of Out & Equal, ensuring flawless experiences for event participants, sponsors, vendor partners, volunteers, board members, and staff.
- Maintain strong communications with all event stakeholders, ensuring that all internal and external partners have a clear sense of the Out & Equal’s vision and goals of each event and the expectations for their participation.
- Maintain and assure a disciplined and effective project management approach for the events.
- Maintain and assure an evaluation process.
- Supervise Out & Equal Events staff and interns, ensuring that their performance meets or exceeds expectations and coaching them in their ongoing professional development.
- Support and contribute to the development of long-term strategy that demonstrates continued evolution of key events like the Summit and Executive Forum and leverages multi-year relationships as appropriate.
- Program oversight and execution: ensure through direct management that Out & Equal commitments are met and programs executed at the highest level of quality:
- Deliver events on time, within budget, that meet and hopefully exceed expectations.
- Develop, produce, and deliver projects from proposal to delivery.
- Set, communicate, and maintain timelines and priorities on every project.
- Communicate with and maintain client relationships.
- Manage supplier relationships.
- Manage operational and administrative functions to ensure that specific projects are delivered efficiently.
- Provide leadership, motivation, direction and support to the volunteer team at events and as appropriate within the compensated staff team.
- Travel to on-site inspections and project managing events.
- Manage all project budgets from start to finish.
- Ensure excellent customer service and quality delivery.
- Collaborate with program and administrative staff to ensure that program initiatives, development, and sales goals and systems are well supported in the events cycle.
- Serve as a role model of sound judgment, capable staff and volunteer management, respectful collaboration, innovative problem-solving, and gracious adaptability.
- Bachelor’s degree in any field with significant relevant experience
- 5+ years of comprehensive experience leading multiple programs similar in size and complexity to the Out & Equal Workplace Summit
- Excellent budget management skills
- Excellent reliability in meeting deadlines
- Ability to use initiative effectively and appropriately: working in a hands-on environment with limited resources
- Ability and passion to multi-task
- Ability to lead team of event volunteers
- Computer literacy and knowledge of Lanyan or comparable database highly desirable
- A strong commitment to equality for members of the LGBT community
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Self-starter; able to work independently, and as part of a team
- Experience with and understanding of corporate workplaces and cultures
Join Out & Equal’s dedicated team of employees who believe in our organization’s mission of encouraging everyone to bring their best self to work every day. We strongly encourage people of all backgrounds, ethnicities and gender identities to apply.
For more information, visit our website www.outandequal.org.
Salary is dependent on experience.
Benefits include 3 weeks paid vacation but 6 personal/discretionary days, a comprehensive employer-paid health and welfare program, commuter discount program, life insurance, and 401(k). Details of each program, including waiting periods and eligibility criteria, are available for review. This is an FTE Position, will start as soon as possible, will be located in our San Francisco office and will report to our Deputy Director.
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter to TTalbot@outandequal.org No phone calls please.
Out & Equal Workplace Advocates is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on any of the following: race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or gender characteristic, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.